Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Music Marketing Blog Post 2

     The first part of our project was the research portion. The research portion consisted of finding 2 different music companies and studying the marketing, distribution, branding, and other tactics of two artists under those music companies. Our genre was rock so we chose Sony and universal and got AC/DC, Bruce Springstein, Sting, and Metallica. Although these bands are very popular, the research was hard because in the current decade, rock is not a huge topic of interest so there's not a lot of data that has been publicly released within the last 5 years. We split the 4 artists among our 4 members, personally I got Sting which was probably one of the harder ones as he's more obscure than the other artists and most of his data/ popularity was tied with the band "The Police". Despite this, our group was able to complete this portion in a timely and orderly manner. We then did a few small case studies on services like Spotify and TikTok as well as the rock genre. The last research we did was just to find the target audience of the rock genre which was fairly quick.

    The next part of our project was the brainstorming. In the brainstorming we first looked at the schedule we wanted to create. We decided the best schedule was work on the presentation in class and work on the music video by meeting at places outside of school. After we got the footage we'd have one member, Lenny, purely focus on the music video while the rest of us took care of the presentation. The next part of brainstorming was to choose the song we wanted to present. We ultimately chose the song "My Name Is Human" by Highly Suspect as our group collectively agreed we liked it the most. We then continued on with the project and started creating an outline of our music video. We decided to use the storyboard assignment to take care of this. The brainstorming took one day for us, however, it provided a useful outline for the different shots and angles we'd want to use. After the brainstorming of the music video, we brainstormed different subjects of interest for the presentation, we had tons of ideas like websites, merchandise, social media accounts, logos, etc. We also had to brainstorm our brand. We landed on "Dark Night" as the name for the artist.

    The production was definitely the most enjoyable part of the production, after school we all drove to our Town Center to meet up, we decided to take a lot of footage in front of a podium with a lake, however, we realized we had one large problem, one member was unable to be present and they had the story board. This prompted us to adapt and we decided to just go with the flow. We decided to get a few shots with the guitar and then focused on getting shots of the artist. We came up with cool ideas like filming the slow part in day and filming the fast part in night. We finished the first day in night and then returned to Town Center for the second day and filmed during night. While walking around, we stumbled across the great idea of trying to get a cop to handcuff Lucas in the video, we walked around looking for one and found officer Dan, who wouldn't handcuff anyone but allowed us to use his blue and red lights which looked great in the night. This wrapped up our production and left editing.

    The post-production process was definitely the most strenuous, it was fast paced and focused on us heavily perfecting our PowerPoint while Lenny took care of the editing. The PowerPoint for me was hard, I didn't really know what to put because even after my research I still was not very profound on the information stored within the music industry. We first decided to take care of the marketing plan, our marketing plan started by using TikTok to appeal to a young audience and ended at a point where we were so established to the point where we could use large concerts/ performances to fuel our interests. We then created a TikTok, Instagram, and Spotify account as a part of our marketing. We also created a logo to create a recognizable brand. We took the logo and used it to create the foundation for the black and white theme of the presentation. On the other end, Lenny did a great job with the music video and we were able to do everything on time. 

    The last part of the project was the presentation. After the completion of the video and PowerPoint all group members took 2 slides that they would solely focus on. I got distribution trends and marketing plan, I wrote myself a script. This script was full of planning and the use of the case studies mentioned in the research portion of the blog. After writing my script I kept reading it over and over to memorize it. On the first day of presentations our group was not called so we decided to go first on the second day to get it over with. I made the mistake of not using the weekend to prepare and forgot a lot of material. I tried rememorizing it during my fifth period and then we presented. I was fairly nervous but decided to go first anyway. I was doing great until the end of my second slide where I blanked and forgot a lot of material. This made our presentation come off as unprofessional and bad. Although I costed my group members, I will use this experience to make sure next time, I use all of my time in a productive manner.

    I learned many things during this project. The most important was definitely the incorporation of synergy, synergy is essential when working with anyone and makes or breaks any task. Another thing I learned was the importance of a schedule, using a schedule allows for people to be more organized and allows our mind to process things piece by piece. This is important as now we don't feel like the task is impossible and work toward a goal day by day instead of completing it at once. The last thing I learned was the importance of being productive, being lazy never helps and if I'm given any form of extra time, I should use it well and prepare myself rather than just lying around because it helps me perform better. The most important part of this project in terms of developing my portfolio is probably the experience I gained with filming and editing software. Another benefit for my Cambridge portfolio is the ability to reflect and document my experiences as I am doing currently with this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

 Thank you for coming this far with me, I'd like to present my creative critical reflection. Podcast Presentation